[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2116: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2127: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2127: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2166: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2167: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2170: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
I feel such contempt for the spineless MPs who betrayed Gary #544 :: Asperger Technical

Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 540, 541, 542, 543, 544
 Post subject: Re: I feel such contempt for the spineless MPs who betrayed Gary
Post Number:#5431  PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 am 

Gary MacKinnon's case just emphasises how much the greater world still doesn't understand the Asperger syndrome. My own son was diagnosed late (17) and this was after a series of painfully distressing incidents that made me wonder what the heck was going on in life. I took it on myself to start reading up all about it and discovered many elements of the condition were manifested to lesser degrees in myself as well. Whether "experts" have just got better at diagnosing it, or whether there are truly more youngsters with it being born into the world, I can't say with accuracy; but whichever it is, the condition is here and clearly manifested in a wide spread of people.
I listen to what my son says about how society doesn't yet have the right kind of education conditions for teaching these "new" children; many of them thrive on visual input, rather than our standard and well-defined methods of lecture/books/blackboard and similar. He should know; he went right through school with the condition undiagnosed; informing us later on that certain elements of his schooling had been a real struggle, but he decided to work at overcoming it.
Universities and colleges seem to be recognising the condition and moving towards organised assistance, however; the last three years I think he's been reasonably well treated. He's just completed a physics degree; havent got the results yet but he knows he hasn't been able to perform to the best of his ability in some areas of it, because of his condition. Whatever the outcome, he now faces the aspects of "where to go next".

Share this information
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Diigo
  • DZone
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • Reddit
  • Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo
     Post subject: Re: I feel such contempt for the spineless MPs who betrayed Gary
    Post Number:#5432  PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:18 pm 

bluermum wrote:
    Gary MacKinnon's case just emphasises how much the greater world still doesn't understand the Asperger syndrome. My own son was diagnosed late (17) and this was after a series of painfully distressing incidents that made me wonder what the heck was going on in life. I took it on myself to start reading up all about it and discovered many elements of the condition were manifested to lesser degrees in myself as well. Whether "experts" have just got better at diagnosing it, or whether there are truly more youngsters with it being born into the world, I can't say with accuracy; but whichever it is, the condition is here and clearly manifested in a wide spread of people.
    I listen to what my son says about how society doesn't yet have the right kind of education conditions for teaching these "new" children; many of them thrive on visual input, rather than our standard and well-defined methods of lecture/books/blackboard and similar. He should know; he went right through school with the condition undiagnosed; informing us later on that certain elements of his schooling had been a real struggle, but he decided to work at overcoming it.

Slightly O/T, but I'm currently reading Survival Strategies for People on the Autism Spectrum by Marc Fleisher. The author was born in 1967 and diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome at age 11, apparently. That would have been, at the latest, 1979. I was under the impression that the term "Asperger's syndrome" wasn't even used until Uta Frith and/or Lorna Wing's studies in the 80s, and not officially recognised by shrinks until the 90s.

Share this information
    • Delicious
    • Digg
    • Diigo
    • DZone
    • Facebook
    • Google
    • LinkedIn
    • MySpace
    • Reddit
    • Slashdot
    • StumbleUpon
    • Twitter
    • Yahoo
      Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 540, 541, 542, 543, 544