[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
Servis Quartz :: Asperger Technical

Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: Servis Quartz
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:05 pm 

It's been interesting reading about the history of microcontrollers and why it took so long for them to be adopted by hobbyists and colleges.

My parents used to own a Servis Quartz washing machine. They were the first washing machines in the world to use a microcontroller instead of a mechanical timer with a knob. I thought the red LED display looked really cool. I can never forgive my parents for getting rid of the machine because they are now collectors items.

Here's a picture I found on the internet of the control panel.

Share this information
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Diigo
  • DZone
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • Reddit
  • Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo
     Post subject: Re: Servis Quartz
    Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:10 pm 

I remember the Servis Quartz and I really wanted one.

Some time back in the 1980s, I was out with my parents in an electrical store looking at which new washing machine to buy. The one I picked was the Servis Quartz because I liked the electronic display. My mother decided against it when she found out that you had to run each programme from the start to the finish. There was no facility to skip a stage or advance a programme. Servis had designed the Quartz using knowledge gained from consumer research programmes, giving detailed information on current and desired wash habits. This probably implied that my mother's tendency to advance a programme by turning the timer knob was not a popular wash habit. In the end she settled on a washing machine with a mechanical timer for precisely this reason.

Another interesting washing machine is the Hotpoint 9560 with a vacuum fluorescent display.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EG8QiJ5ZX ... re=related

Share this information
    • Delicious
    • Digg
    • Diigo
    • DZone
    • Facebook
    • Google
    • LinkedIn
    • MySpace
    • Reddit
    • Slashdot
    • StumbleUpon
    • Twitter
    • Yahoo
      Post Number:#3  PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 pm 

Canopus wrote:
      Another interesting washing machine is the Hotpoint 9560 with a vacuum fluorescent display.

I love that vacuum fluorescent display.

Does anybody know which microcontroller was used in the Hotpoint 9560 and Servis Quartz.

Share this information
      • Delicious
      • Digg
      • Diigo
      • DZone
      • Facebook
      • Google
      • LinkedIn
      • MySpace
      • Reddit
      • Slashdot
      • StumbleUpon
      • Twitter
      • Yahoo
        Post Number:#4  PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:09 pm 

Aneez wrote:
        Does anybody know which microcontroller was used in the Hotpoint 9560 and Servis Quartz.

Have a look at this video The Secret Life Of Machines - The Washing Machine. At 4:13 it shows a circuit board of a washing machine timer that looks like it comes from a Servis Quartz. The positions of the buttons and LED displays are identical. The large IC must be the microcontroller but I can't quite make out it's identity. :(

Share this information
        • Delicious
        • Digg
        • Diigo
        • DZone
        • Facebook
        • Google
        • LinkedIn
        • MySpace
        • Reddit
        • Slashdot
        • StumbleUpon
        • Twitter
        • Yahoo
          Post Number:#5  PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:37 am 

My Mum had the Servis Quartz model 600. I loved the display of this machine, lovely red led display. However, the machine had teething problems. There was a fault with the 600 model and some had been recalled.

The only downside to this machine was it was bad at an unbalanced load.

Paul

Share this information
          • Delicious
          • Digg
          • Diigo
          • DZone
          • Facebook
          • Google
          • LinkedIn
          • MySpace
          • Reddit
          • Slashdot
          • StumbleUpon
          • Twitter
          • Yahoo
            Post Number:#6  PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:46 pm 

Interesting to know that the Servis Quartz machines are collectors items as I have two (601's), well one and a half really. I bought mine new in the 1980's and it has been in continuous use since. The second one I recovered from the local tip to use as spares. I've had to replace the door gasket quite regularly (found this site looking for a replacement gasket as it's leaking again). Have replaced the drum bearing once, the motor bearing once, motor brushes a couple of times, heater element a couple of times, and one or two other little jobs. The door bowl I salvaged from the scrap machine as I couldn't find a replacement. All in all it's a brilliant machine and I wouldn't know what to replace it with. Have never had any problems with the electronics. Really don't know how Servis managed to go out of business having produced such a great machine.

If anybody is a serious collector looking for one of these let me know. Not ready to part with it yet but when the time comes would be loath to take it to the tip.

Ian

Share this information
            • Delicious
            • Digg
            • Diigo
            • DZone
            • Facebook
            • Google
            • LinkedIn
            • MySpace
            • Reddit
            • Slashdot
            • StumbleUpon
            • Twitter
            • Yahoo
              Post Number:#7  PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:54 pm 

It's a bit of an offbeat collectors item because the enthusiasm for collecting and using classic white goods is nowhere near the level as that for old computers or classic cars.

Servis fell into financial difficulty during the 1980s and was taken over by an Italian company as a box shifter for their own machines. I presume that sales of the Quartz weren't sufficiently high to ensure that Servis survived independently. According to Wikipedia, Servis had a patent on the use of electronic controls for washing machine drums. This could explain why so few washing machines from other manufacturers in the 1980s and 90s used microcontroller timers.

Share this information
              • Delicious
              • Digg
              • Diigo
              • DZone
              • Facebook
              • Google
              • LinkedIn
              • MySpace
              • Reddit
              • Slashdot
              • StumbleUpon