[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2150: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2166: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2167: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2171: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
Boys outperform girls in crucial university admissions tests :: Asperger Technical

Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: Boys outperform girls in crucial university admissions tests
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:47 am 

Published in The TES on 3 October, 2008

Female pupils, for once, find themselves outclassed in US-style university aptitude tests

Boys are forging ahead of girls in three prestigious university admissions tests following years of female achievement at GCSE and A- level.

Males outperformed females in a £1.6 million trial of a US-style university aptitude or “SAT” test - not to be confused with the English Sats regime - taken by 9,000 pupils.

Boys are also outstripping girls in the BMAT test used by five leading universities, including Oxford and Cambridge, to select medical school applicants.

Additionally, it has emerged that Oxford University’s history exam has been dominated by boys, despite girls doing better at A-level.

These findings, presented to a conference run by the Nuffield Review of 14-19 education, raise questions about girls’ recent dominance of higher education entry.

Universities are increasingly setting their own admissions tests to supplement the information they receive from school exams. If boys continue to perform better in these, it could have a long-term effect on admissions.

Females are ahead of boys in almost all GCSE and A-level subjects. Last year, 59 per cent of UK undergraduates were women.

The findings will feed into the debate about whether GCSEs and A-levels favour girls. The SAT test and the BMAT are one-off mainly multiple-choice tests, while school exams reward hard work over the length of a course and have more essay questions, which girls are widely said to be better at.

Professor Alison Wolf, of King’s College London, said: “People have been saying for years that there are genuine issues with gender bias in school assessment. It’s now time we took this seriously. We have a set of exams that are concentrating to an unreasonable degree on sets of skills that girls are better at. It’s clear from these results that there are other sets of skills that boys are better at.”

But Professor Jo Boaler, of Sussex University, said: “The last thing we need in education is US-style SATs, which for many years have stopped women from entering American colleges because they under-predict the performance of females. Girls’ improved school performance is not down to testing bias.”

The SAT trial has been backed by the influential Sutton Trust charity as a potentially fairer university selection device than A-levels alone.

The five-year pilot will finish in 2010, but the Government is not committed to introducing the test. Researchers plan to investigate whether it is biased towards boys.

Professor Peter Tymms, director of Durham University’s Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, said: “The nature of a test may favour one sex or the other. Over time, GCSEs and A-levels have become slightly more girl-friendly.”

Exams could be changed to allow a wider range of attributes, such as creativity and lateral thinking, to be measured - possibly with a “pupil profile”, reported alongside grades.

Tim Oates, of Cambridge Assessment, said the BMAT findings were in line with the fact that more boys than girls were choosing to take single science GCSEs, which provide a better foundation for the knowledge required in BMAT questions.

Question

Is there a strong tendency for people with Asperger syndrome to do better on these tests than neurotypical people?

Share this information
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Diigo
  • DZone
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • Reddit
  • Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo
     Post subject: Re: Boys outperform girls in crucial university admissions tests
    Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:13 pm 

Canopus wrote:
    Question

Is there a strong tendency for people with Asperger syndrome to do better on these tests than neurotypical people?

I wouldn't be surprised. GCSEs are a complete load of crap. They are really trivial in terms of knowledge but you need neurotypical thinking and writing skills to get top grades. I only got a C grade for ICT and a B grade for science which was the same as a classmate got who doesn't know a damn thing about science.

Have you ever seen O Level exam papers? I have and prefer the style of the questions to GCSE exam papers.

Share this information
    • Delicious
    • Digg
    • Diigo
    • DZone
    • Facebook
    • Google
    • LinkedIn
    • MySpace
    • Reddit
    • Slashdot
    • StumbleUpon
    • Twitter
    • Yahoo
      Post Number:#3  PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:11 pm 

2 plus 8 wrote:
      I wouldn't be surprised. GCSEs are a complete load of crap. They are really trivial in terms of knowledge but you need neurotypical thinking and writing skills to get top grades.

GCSEs were designed to be teenager friendly qualifications appealing to the mainstream British mindset which is why exam boards offer IGCSEs and O Levels to third world countries which value higher academic standards and more substance over a populist style.

Something I have been wondering for many years is whether nursery education is designed for neurotypical kids and doesn't do justice to kids with AS. I attended nursery school between the ages of 3 and 4, and my end of year report concludes with a recommendation to attend a private school rather than a state school. I still have the report even today as it was crucial evidence during my diagnosis of AS, although I never attended a private school after finishing nursery.

The nursery teachers were concerned about the way I rarely interacted with the other children or joined in activities with them, as I much preferred to play alone usually with Lego and construction toys. My report mentioned underdeveloped gross motor skills and how I was the only kid in my year who didn't enjoy playing outside with the balls but would rather stay inside instead. What the report didn't mention was that outside playtime was all too chaotic for my liking with kids running around in all directions. After milk time was a bike riding session that I was reluctant to participate in with the other children because of the chaos and the only bike I found easy and comfortable to ride was in high demand by the other kids.

In contrast, the nursery teachers were astounded by my advanced intellectual knowledge, and more particularly, my mathematical skills. They reported on how I knew about square number and square roots and fractions when most other kids could just manage to count to five. At snack time every kid was given a bottle of milk with a straw and a piece of apple. One day I announced that we needed 26 straws and the teachers were amazed that was the right number. They wanted to know how I arrived at this figure because I couldn't possibly have had enough time to count 26 bottles individually. My reply was that the bottles were arranged in the crate in 4 rows of 6 plus another 2, making 26 in total, and they couldn't believe that a 3 year old could multiply numbers like that. When I was drinking my milk I talked about my bottle being half full and quarter full and compared the quantity with that in other kid's bottles. My report also contained references to a high level of general knowledge such as reading maps and recognising shapes and colours that were KS1 material.

I personally don't think I benefitted much from attending nursery apart from obtaining a report that helped me in my diagnosis of AS. The place seemed to be organised with neurotypical kids in mind. However, it is very difficult to determine if a 3 year old has AS or is neurotypical from their family life.

Share this information
      • Delicious
      • Digg
      • Diigo
      • DZone
      • Facebook
      • Google
      • LinkedIn
      • MySpace
      • Reddit
      • Slashdot
      • StumbleUpon
      • Twitter
      • Yahoo
        Post Number:#4  PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:45 am 
        Site Admin

What an amazing story!

Do you object if it is disseminated amongst people in the AS community?

You are right in saying that it's almost impossible to identify if a 3 year old is neurotypical or has AS? I assume that the nursery teachers had never heard of AS at the time you attended.

Share this information
        • Delicious
        • Digg
        • Diigo
        • DZone
        • Facebook
        • Google
        • LinkedIn
        • MySpace
        • Reddit
        • Slashdot
        • StumbleUpon
        • Twitter
        • Yahoo
          Post Number:#5  PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:49 pm 

Reseda wrote:
          Do you object if it is disseminated amongst people in the AS community?

Feel free to share it.

Share this information
          • Delicious
          • Digg
          • Diigo
          • DZone
          • Facebook
          • Google
          • LinkedIn
          • MySpace
          • Reddit
          • Slashdot
          • StumbleUpon
          • Twitter
          • Yahoo
            Post Number:#6  PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:08 pm 

I never attended a nursery as I started school in reception class. It was called 1st year infants back then and Y1 was called 2nd year infants.

My cousins attended infant school in Leeds and they had to drink a bottle of milk with a blue straw every day. The milk was warm and yak most of the time but the bottles were really cool. They never had them in my school.

Something that really pisses me off is the way that teachers and parents go round thinking that children with autumn birthdays are (or are supposed to be) cleverer than children with summer birthdays just because they are a few months older.

Share this information
            • Delicious
            • Digg
            • Diigo
            • DZone
            • Facebook
            • Google
            • LinkedIn
            • MySpace
            • Reddit
            • Slashdot
            • StumbleUpon
            • Twitter
            • Yahoo
              Post Number:#7  PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:23 pm 

I can vaguely remember a time in reception class when I was discussing numbers and came up with the term undividable number for primes. Next thing I worked out a method to determine if a number is prime and started making a list. I got nearly as far as 100 but the teacher wiped the blackboard.

When I was 8, I wrote a computer program to generate primes and output them as a list until an overflow error occured.

Other terminology I invented included reverse squares for square roots and pyramid numbers for a sum of squares of integers from 1 to n. I was only about 4 at the time and neither of my parents are good mathematicians.

2 plus 8 wrote:
              Something that really pisses me off is the way that teachers and parents go round thinking that children with autumn birthdays are (or are supposed to be) cleverer than children with summer birthdays just because they are a few months older.

I know the feeling having a birthday in June. I was one of the cleverest kids in my year when it came to maths and science yet I was often treated as one of the 'babies' of the class by adults who assumed that kids born in September and October are the clever ones.

Share this information
              • Delicious
              • Digg
              • Diigo
              • DZone
              • Facebook
              • Google
              • LinkedIn
              • MySpace
              • Reddit
              • Slashdot
              • StumbleUpon
              • Twitter
              • Yahoo
                Post Number:#8  PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:28 pm 

On a related note, are single-sex schools better for Aspie girls, or not? See this question I posted at MyDaughter.co.uk.

Share this information
                • Delicious
                • Digg
                • Diigo
                • DZone
                • Facebook
                • Google
                • LinkedIn
                • MySpace
                • Reddit
                • Slashdot
                • StumbleUpon
                • Twitter
                • Yahoo
                  Post Number:#9  PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:34 pm 

Aeolienne wrote:
                  On a related note, are single-sex schools better for Aspie girls, or not?

That's a good question - and I don't think the issue has been looked at in detail yet.

I personally think that far too many kids are being pushed into relationships at too young an age. Secondary school age kids with AS are probably more likely to be interested in things rather than the opposite sex. It appears that kids with AS also show less interest in soaps and popular entertainment on television than neurotypical kids do.

Share this information
                  • Delicious
                  • Digg
                  • Diigo
                  • DZone
                  • Facebook
                  • Google
                  • LinkedIn
                  • MySpace
                  • Reddit
                  • Slashdot
                  • StumbleUpon
                  • Twitter
                  • Yahoo
                    Post Number:#10  PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:04 pm 

Canopus wrote:
                    Aeolienne wrote:
                    On a related note, are single-sex schools better for Aspie girls, or not?

That's a good question - and I don't think the issue has been looked at in detail yet.

I personally think that far too many kids are being pushed into relationships at too young an age. Secondary school age kids with AS are probably more likely to be interested in things rather than the opposite sex. It appears that kids with AS also show less interest in soaps and popular entertainment on television than neurotypical kids do.

But what is the right age for a relationship? I'm 35 and have never had one, and rather resent the way I was fobbed off (before and after my Asperger's diagnosis at the ripe age of 26) with "you're far too young to worry" and/or the usual stale advice about joining clubs and societies.

See also

Share this information
                    • Delicious
                    • Digg
                    • Diigo
                    • DZone
                    • Facebook
                    • Google
                    • LinkedIn
                    • MySpace
                    • Reddit
                    • Slashdot
                    • StumbleUpon
                    • Twitter
                    • Yahoo
                      Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next