[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
Retirement through Asperger's? :: Asperger Technical

Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: Retirement through Asperger's?
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:52 pm 

Does anyone out there have any experience/knowledge of any instances where someone has successfully cited AS as a basis for retiring early from work on the grounds of ill health? My partner lives alone and has mild AS (not yet officially diagnosed, but we've known it for years) and is a scientist in the NHS. He worked for years among a small group of older people who were like a family, where he fitted in fine. They are now all retired and he feels very vulnerable amongst the younger replacements, one of whom caused a very nasty and groundless confrontation a couple of years ago which deeply upset him and led to six months off work with counselling. He's never really gotten over the injustice of it (the line manager remained neutral so the person responsible was never even reprimanded and is still there) and even though now back at work, he hates it and has long periods off sick through colds, flu, tiredness etc. There's also a departmental move looming soon and this will inevitably lead to more anxiety. The situation can't go on, and he needs to leave. I foresee two scenarios: They'll either eventually terminate his employment through continued absence; or he'll have to retire early, at 50. However, early retirement would result in actuarily reduced pension benefits, amounting to several thousand pounds, which he cannot afford to lose as he has a mortgage to pay off and he's unlikely to work again. If he retired on ill health grounds, the pension would not be reduced. So I wonder whether he could apply on the grounds of his AS? Any ideas much appreciated. Thank you.

Share this information
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Diigo
  • DZone
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • Reddit
  • Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo
     Post subject: Re: Retirement through Asperger's?
    Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:53 pm 
    Site Admin

He isn't the only person to have asked this question...

The most important thing to do before citing AS as a basis for any claims is to obtain an official diagnosis. Without an official diagnosis it is almost impossible to convince those in authority that the problem is the result of AS rather than another factor. I have received anecdotal evidence that a tiny handful of people have managed to retire on ill health grounds as a result of problems caused by AS but unfortunately I have no details of specific individuals or the positions they were in. The majority of people in Britain who hold an official diagnosis of AS were born after 1988 which means that there are plenty of middle aged and older workers out there without a diagnosis.

If your partner does make the decision to retire on ill health grounds then workplace stress could be used as a reason in the absence of an official diagnosis of AS. I recommend that your partner discusses this with his GP.

Share this information
    • Delicious
    • Digg
    • Diigo
    • DZone
    • Facebook
    • Google
    • LinkedIn
    • MySpace
    • Reddit
    • Slashdot
    • StumbleUpon