[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2116: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2166: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2167: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 2170: Undefined variable: phpbb_root_path
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
Say Hello #2 :: Asperger Technical

Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: Re: Say Hello
Post Number:#11  PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

These early diagnoses of AS intrigue me. Here's the full text of Asperger syndrome: a clinical account by Lorna Wing that was published in 1981. What I cannot understand is why she didn't publicise AS in mainstream education and medical journals during the early 80s in order to inform doctors, teachers, and educational psychologists. A documentary shown on Channel 4 would almost certainly have made a powerful impact back then.

Share this information
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Diigo
  • DZone
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • Reddit
  • Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo
    Post Number:#12  PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:21 pm 

Have you / anybody you know ever met Lorna Wing?

Share this information
    • Delicious
    • Digg
    • Diigo
    • DZone
    • Facebook
    • Google
    • LinkedIn
    • MySpace
    • Reddit
    • Slashdot
    • StumbleUpon
    • Twitter
    • Yahoo
      Post Number:#13  PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:09 pm 

Aeolienne wrote:
      I heard about this site via Aspies for Freedom's "work issues" subforum (which, incidentally, was created at my request). There the poster had remarked that AT hadn't attracted much recent postings, so here I am doing my bit to redress the balance.

I'm 35 and used to work in a branch of the scientific civil service but got fired last year. Have been trying to sue them for unfair dismissal while looking for new work. In the meantime I've been studying Open University courses M255 Object-Oriented Programming with Java and TXR120 Engineering: An Active Introduction. Previous programming experience has been in Matlab, Maple, LaTeX, Fortran, Unix/Linux, PV-Wave, SQL, JavaScript, Perl and IDL.

Update: I got offered a new job in May, started in July and got dismissed for "not [delivering] the right level of technical input" last week.

Share this information
      • Delicious
      • Digg
      • Diigo
      • DZone
      • Facebook
      • Google
      • LinkedIn
      • MySpace
      • Reddit
      • Slashdot
      • StumbleUpon
      • Twitter
      • Yahoo
        Post Number:#14  PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:44 pm 

Aeolienne wrote:
        Update: I got offered a new job in May, started in July and got dismissed for "not [delivering] the right level of technical input" last week.

Damn. Are you in a position to further elaborate on what happened? It is possible for you to discuss things in confidence if you so wish.

Share this information
        • Delicious
        • Digg
        • Diigo
        • DZone
        • Facebook
        • Google
        • LinkedIn
        • MySpace
        • Reddit
        • Slashdot
        • StumbleUpon
        • Twitter
        • Yahoo
          Post Number:#15  PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:51 pm 

Nothing more to say. If you want to know the name of the company you can PM me.

Share this information
          • Delicious
          • Digg
          • Diigo
          • DZone
          • Facebook
          • Google
          • LinkedIn
          • MySpace
          • Reddit
          • Slashdot
          • StumbleUpon
          • Twitter
          • Yahoo
            Post Number:#16  PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:05 pm 

Hello, new member here. 40+ male, diagnosed with AS in 2010. I have a severely autistic daughter (who is now 10), and it was whilst researching the world of ASD approximately 8 years ago that I came to recognise many things about myself. These observations are now confirmed by a piece of paper.

I have been employed as a civil servant for the last 20+ years, and am currently working in a technical unit. I have not disclosed to anyone in the workplace though this may change tomorrow as I have to attend an occupational health assessment due to 10 recent days of stress related sick leave. I plan on disclosing my diagnosis, but will be insisting on strict confidentiality. In my opinion, AS carries a workplace stigma, and I want to avoid exposing myself if at all possible. I will be arguing that my diagnosis is a key factor in my susceptibility to stress, anxiety and depression, and should be regarded as a serious underlying medical condition.

Regards
            Alator

Share this information
            • Delicious
            • Digg
            • Diigo
            • DZone
            • Facebook
            • Google
            • LinkedIn
            • MySpace
            • Reddit
            • Slashdot
            • StumbleUpon
            • Twitter
            • Yahoo
              Post Number:#17  PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:17 pm 
              Site Admin

Welcome Alator

Disclosing confirmed or suspected AS with the occupational health department is usually safe and I recommend that you do so in this instance. The staff will maintain strict confidentiality if you request it.

Share this information
              • Delicious
              • Digg
              • Diigo
              • DZone
              • Facebook
              • Google
              • LinkedIn
              • MySpace
              • Reddit
              • Slashdot
              • StumbleUpon
              • Twitter
              • Yahoo
                Post Number:#18  PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:45 pm 

Hi Reseda, thank you for the welcome.

Maybe I should start a new thread about this, but as we are here...: I attended my appointment, and disclosed, providing evidence of diagnosis. The occupational health assessor (not medically trained, nor a pyschologist) expressed surprise at my wish for my disclosure to remain strictly confidential, but affirmed that my wish would be respected. She is going to write to my GP before completing her report. I don't think she was familiar with AS as she didn't seem to understand what the problem was. I tried to explain that I am highly susceptible to stress, but she only focused on the fact that I have received performance related bonuses for the past two years and am considered the most productive member of the team (just stating facts here, not boasting). I tried to explain that to maintain that position, I in effect have to work thrice as hard as my NT colleagues, but I don't think she 'got it'. I don't think I expressed myself as I had intended to :(

we shall see what the report says. i will report back here when I know more. My main aim was to gain recognition of my condition as a 'serious underlying medical condition' in order to gain exemption from 'trigger points' when taking sick leave due to stress, but may have failed in my representations due to my inability to express my inner feelings adequately. we shall see what happens...

Share this information
                • Delicious
                • Digg
                • Diigo
                • DZone
                • Facebook
                • Google
                • LinkedIn
                • MySpace
                • Reddit
                • Slashdot
                • StumbleUpon
                • Twitter
                • Yahoo
                  Post Number:#19  PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:42 pm 

Occupational health assessors are very much hit and miss when it comes to AS. If you have difficulty convincing one then a report from a psychologist or someone else with official capacity often goes a long way. There seems to be some mental barrier in place everywhere that an individual's successes overshadows their AS. It happens in schools with AS kids who are high intelligence and do well in tests.

Share this information
                  • Delicious
                  • Digg
                  • Diigo
                  • DZone
                  • Facebook
                  • Google
                  • LinkedIn
                  • MySpace
                  • Reddit
                  • Slashdot
                  • StumbleUpon
                  • Twitter
                  • Yahoo
                    Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2