[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
More aptitude and personality tests for graduates :: Asperger Technical

Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: More aptitude and personality tests for graduates
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:39 pm 

An article in the Daily Telegraph mentions that multinational companies are now using psychometric personality tests to select graduate employees because they no longer have faith and trust in university degrees.

Many of these tests badly discriminate against people with Asperger syndrome.

Share this information
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Diigo
  • DZone
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • Reddit
  • Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo
     Post subject: Re: More aptitude and personality tests for graduates
    Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:36 pm 

Psychometric tests, great but I very much doubt they are the real thing.

The whole point of such testing is getting the human element out of the employee selection process. This should be the normal situation but managers are notorious for imagining their prowess is excellent when time and again it has been shown dreadful.

My personal view, hotly disputed by some, is that people select kind of themselves, self similar people. Another factor can be seen from that job advertisement euphemism "must be a team player" which actually means will conform and not rock the boat, will xxxxxxxxxx the manager.

That is not team working. It is largely a social matter except social is another euphemism in that context. It is NT game playing, power and control.

Alas that is how people are, nothing we can do about that.

One of the nastiest things to turn up in recent years is the commercial version of Emotional Intelligence or the EQ, pushed heavily by Daniel Goleman. The academic version is fine, no problem, just sensible stuff. This is a whole subject so I won't go into it as such.

This is the good version http://www.unh.edu/emotional_intelligence/
    Steve Hein is also ok but there is controversy http://eqi.org/indmain.htm
    He is actually out there genuinely helping people in South America.

Goleman can burn in hell for teaching that people like us are criminals and for refusing to publicly retract, fully climb down and apologise.
    He has got into trouble over this. (there are papers etc. out there if you go digging). It is stated in some of his best sellers even though he has managed to edit in 9/11 he did not edit out bad stuff.
    (unhappy about this matter go dig on the links above, there are papers where Goleman tries to wriggle out)

A warning: that has been taught in colleges in the UK, funded by government as part of online EI training. :-(
    (I have seen this, not heresay and my protests brought a disconnect no-one wanted to talk about it or admit it)

At root is a misunderstanding of the true nature of empathy, which is rarely correctly described. We are not psychopaths and we are not narcissists. Both of those have good empathy but choose selectively to use it destructively.

The wife of someone Asperger's put it like this, we will bring an asprin and a glass of water (compassion) but cannot empathise to get rid of the pain.

The two I mentioned might bring a poison pill or withhold unless they get what they want such as being told they are wonderful. They know how to hurt, we don't.

So what is going on?
    In my opinion many are being taught/pushed into their emotional world away from the rational which is the Autistic world. The result is increases in indirect communication which we cannot handle.

Share this information
    • Delicious
    • Digg
    • Diigo
    • DZone
    • Facebook
    • Google
    • LinkedIn
    • MySpace
    • Reddit
    • Slashdot
    • StumbleUpon
    • Twitter
    • Yahoo
      Post Number:#3  PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:33 pm 

Interviews in general already discriminate against AS.
      There was a point when I could get an interview for just about any job I wanted within my field but failed 98% of the interviews. The feedback I got from the people who did give me the jobs was that I almost fail because I'm not very "warm" and very facts oriented.

It seems as if employers would rather hired someone that was poor at the job as long as they are well liked and very social. In other words they would rather have a team of idiots that were all happy together than a team of professionals that went to work to do the job.

You also see this in internal promotions - who gets promoted: the person who does the job or the person who makes the manager feel good about themselves? The latter every time.

It seems as if the world of work is not growing up but rather has become more and more infantile over the past 20 or so years. Integrity and hard work are being selected out of the workforce.

I think things are going to get worse for people like us and this is to the detriment of the workplace not to the benefit.

Share this information
      • Delicious
      • Digg
      • Diigo
      • DZone
      • Facebook
      • Google
      • LinkedIn
      • MySpace
      • Reddit
      • Slashdot
      • StumbleUpon
      • Twitter
      • Yahoo
        Post Number:#4  PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:38 pm 

Astilius wrote:
        It seems as if employers would rather hired someone that was poor at the job as long as they are well liked and very social. In other words they would rather have a team of idiots that were all happy together than a team of professionals that went to work to do the job.

I found this on another forum:

Some issues associated with personality tests are:

1. Do the people administering them really understand them and their strengths and limitations, or are they using them simply because of recommendations of business and HR magazines, or because almost everyone else is using them?

2. How much input into most and least preferred personality types is there by people working alongside new staff? Are decisions made by senior managers and HR types who only see these new staff for a few hours a year, or are they made by people who they will be working with every day?

3. Is the test used even appropriate? For example, some organisations consider Myers-Briggs to be too deep and technical as it was designed for psychologists rather than job interviewers. Instead they use a test based around everyday life situations.

Quote:
        You also see this in internal promotions - who gets promoted: the person who does the job or the person who makes the manager feel good about themselves? The latter every time.

This is called office politics. It isn't usually something many people with AS are good at. In fact some don't even play office politics at all and just get on with the job in the hope that good results will earn promotion. In many organisations the chatter at coffee breaks is what decides whether someone is promoted more than the work they do.

Quote:
        It seems as if the world of work is not growing up but rather has become more and more infantile over the past 20 or so years. Integrity and hard work are being selected out of the workforce.

I think things are going to get worse for people like us and this is to the detriment of the workplace not to the benefit.

There is some truth to this. Something I'm wondering is if there is any connection with the change in government in 1997. Moral standards seem to have fallen dramatically since then, and attitudes and behaviour that would have been frowned upon 15 years ago are now seen as acceptable.

Share this information
        • Delicious
        • Digg
        • Diigo
        • DZone
        • Facebook
        • Google
        • LinkedIn
        • MySpace
        • Reddit
        • Slashdot
        • StumbleUpon