[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
Gone with the world - globalisation and AS :: Asperger Technical

Username:  Remember me?
Password:

Post subject: Gone with the world - globalisation and AS
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:13 pm 

I have found a very interesting website highlighting the dangers of globalisation, free trade, and offshoring. It's American but most of it appears to be relevant to Britain. Rather interestingly, it doesn't focus on low skill blue collar and manual jobs, but on highly skilled careers in software development, science, and engineering.

A lot of the material is relevant for people with Asperger syndrome and highlights how those with neurotypical people skills have the advantage in what is termed the Persuasion Age that is replacing the information and high technology age.

http://www.gonewiththeworld.com

Share this information
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Diigo
  • DZone
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • Reddit
  • Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo
     Post subject: Re: Gone with the world - globalisation and AS
    Post Number:#2  PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:28 pm 

What a fantastic website.

I have started to wonder whether the recent financial meltdown could end up shifting the economy more towards productive industries rather than financial fiddling that has dominated the economy of the UK for the past 30 years.

Productive industries create more skilled employment ideal for people with Asperger syndrome than financial services and the low tech service sector do.

Share this information
    • Delicious
    • Digg
    • Diigo
    • DZone
    • Facebook
    • Google
    • LinkedIn
    • MySpace
    • Reddit
    • Slashdot
    • StumbleUpon
    • Twitter
    • Yahoo
      Post Number:#3  PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:21 pm 
      Site Admin

I spent some time reading through that website. It is packed solid with high quality well researched information, presented in a way so that people who are not economics experts can understand the dangers of globalisation and outsourcing technical jobs to low wage countries. My only criticism is that the website doesn't appear to have been updated for a few years. Has it been abandoned?

The website contains plenty of material that could be used to make new pages for the Asperger Technical website. I particularly like the "Blame the Schools" is Wrong, but Effective page and think it could easily be modified for the British education system.

Share this information
      • Delicious
      • Digg
      • Diigo
      • DZone
      • Facebook
      • Google
      • LinkedIn
      • MySpace
      • Reddit
      • Slashdot
      • StumbleUpon
      • Twitter
      • Yahoo
        Post Number:#4  PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:20 pm 

Reseda wrote:
        My only criticism is that the website doesn't appear to have been updated for a few years. Has it been abandoned?

The website has vanished.

Quote:
        The website contains plenty of material that could be used to make new pages for the Asperger Technical website. I particularly like the "Blame the Schools" is Wrong, but Effective page and think it could easily be modified for the British education system.

If we can get a copy from the WayBackMachine then we should start adding stuff to the Asperger Technical website. My attitude is that once a website dies then the copyright dies with it.

Share this information
        • Delicious
        • Digg
        • Diigo
        • DZone
        • Facebook
        • Google
        • LinkedIn
        • MySpace
        • Reddit
        • Slashdot
        • StumbleUpon
        • Twitter
        • Yahoo
          Post Number:#5  PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 pm 
          Site Admin

Canopus wrote:
          If we can get a copy from the WayBackMachine then we should start adding stuff to the Asperger Technical website. My attitude is that once a website dies then the copyright dies with it.

I just checked the WayBackMachine and it appears to all be there. I must download a copy ASAP.

The Asperger Technical website is in dire need of a major update and it will definitely include stuff from Gone with the world. I have been kept very busy over the past year with home education issues. Now that Badman and Balls have been defeated then hopefully time will be found to do some productive work in the AS territory.

Globalisation and outsourcing is an insidious problem, not just for people with AS but for the UK as a whole, that seriously needs to be addressed.

Share this information
          • Delicious
          • Digg
          • Diigo
          • DZone
          • Facebook
          • Google
          • LinkedIn
          • MySpace
          • Reddit
          • Slashdot
          • StumbleUpon